August 24, 2007

Square d'Orléans


Walking around in Paris and having a look behind the street entrances you have sometimes some good surprises. Here is one. Behind 80, rue Taitbout, you will find a calm little area under the name of Square d’Orléans. It dates from the early 19th century.

In a previous post I talked about a small house, transformed into a “Museum of the Romantics” (also not obvious to find), where the painter Ary Scheffer received, among many others, his neighbours and good friends George Sand and Frédéric Chopin. This is where they lived in the 1840’s, more or less together, George at number 5 and Frédéric at number 9.

Some other famous people have lived or worked here, including Alexandre Dumas (père). Georges Bizet came here for his piano lessons. When George Sand left her apartment, Charles Beaudelaire moved in…

You can find the original pictures on my photo blog.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was somewhat startled that you appeared on my blog. I had looked for you and then gave up as I forgot how long you were on vacation. Glad you are back. Nice to see you.

Yes, I have not used the 5 pound camera in two days. It is hotter than the Whine House here. Heat warnings everywhere. 37-38 C feels awful with the humidity nearly 100%. Too much to lug around.

I like the Lumix. I have started to learn how it works. I have some fair photos to show.

Also worked on a blog of my birds. It is getting some attention too.

Bird Blog

Thanks for visiting, Peter. Welcome back to reality.

krystyna said...

Thank you Peter!
Square d’Orléans - I have a big sentiment to the ald beautiful places.
It is good to know about same famous people.

krystyna said...

I want to write "old".

Thank you so much Peter for your supporting words. I believe that Kevin will be well.
Best to you!

Shionge said...

Very nice Peter and I noticed that there is no one around your picture at all...no crowds? Nice & quiet huh?

Cergie said...

C'est sûr, les patés de maisons sont grands et ces espaces derrière sont souvent de magnifiques jardins, mais aussi encore plus souvent des immeubles de derrière...
Bravo pour l'eau figée de ta fontaine, c'est très joli

Cergie said...

Je savais que Sand avait habité sur les quais mais pas place d'Orléans. Que de beau monde tu as déniché !

Chuckeroon said...

Peter...I've left a little "welcome back", and a relevant reply regarding blackberries on the post...(but here it is to save you jumping around:Peter! great to see you back! The blackberries are so sweet at the moment that almost no sugar is needed, and although I normally agree on the cream, that's almost not necessary either!)

Trust you are feeling OK.

sonia a. mascaro said...

Very nice, Peter! Many beautiful places to enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Paris seems to be full of surprises. - I hope your mother is well.