June 18, 2007

Street lamps

Yesterday was Father’s (and Grandfather’s) Day, so I had little time left for thinking about blogging. Here is just a collection of different photos from all over Paris of street lamps.

These last years a lot of attention has been given to maintain the original style of these lamps, considering that they play an important role for the decoration of our streets and open places. Many of them have been refreshed, repainted… Some of them may even be quite new, but in a design that fits to the architecture around them.

There were some rules about the need to lighten the streets which more seriously started to be applied during the 16th century, more or less based on oil lamps that the habitants were supposed to put in their windows, certain hours and months. During the 17th century, real street lamps started to be quite common. This meant a lot for the security and safety and led to the beginning of a real “Paris by night”-life. Gas lighting became common as from the beginning of the 19th century, but my report about the lamp post at Place de la Concorde (June 11) mentioned that electricity was introduced already in 1844. Today of course everything is electric (but I understand that modern gas lighting still can be found in some major cities around the world).

19 comments:

isa said...

Very enlightning post ;-)

Truly charming photos!

Mona said...

A HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO YOU PETER!! :))

I hope you had an enjoyable time with your family!

Shammickite said...

Very nice lamps. When I was a child, we didn't have electricity at our house, and all lighting was done by the use of gas lamps.

sonia a. mascaro said...

A Happy Father’s and Grandfather’s Day, Peter (belated)!

The lamps are very beautiful, very charming! I think they are really a work of art! You did a great thread of photos!

Have a good week!

Keshi said...

what an interesting post abt Street Lamps! Love thos pics...seems like Paris has the whole lot. :) how lucky!


Keshi.

lyliane six said...

Une fois de plus tu nous a "éclairé la lanterne"(Apporté les éléments nécessaires à la compréhension de quelque chose).Expression qui vient de la fable de Florian.

hpy said...

Isabella said it. So I just say I'm delighted.

alice said...

As-tu été gâté pour cette fête des pères (et des grands-pères)?

SusuPetal said...

Beautiful lamps, really. Romantic and decorated, in a truly parisian way!

Cergie said...

Tu pourrais écrire des bouquins avec les photos que tu as collectées de Paris et de ses détails.
Réverbère me fait penser à l'allumeur de réverbère qui habite une si petite planète qu'il passe son temps à l'allumer et à l'éteindre son réverbère unique. C'es dans "le petit Prince" de saint Exupéry

Les reverbères me font aussi toujours penser à de cyclopes bienveillants.

Anonymous said...

I did enjoy your explanation and the photographs. We have one style in our city and one style in the business section. However, the business section is mostly deserted and empty buildings and few pay any attention to the illumination. Sad but true.

Ming the Merciless said...

What a fabulous collection of street lamp photos. They are all amazing.

It took me a while to look at all of them.

Olivier said...

une superbe collection, j'adore les lampadaires à Paris. Je ne vois pas ceux de l'opera Garnier (mais je me trompe peut-etre), si je me rapelle ils sont superbes (de toute facon l'opera garnier est sublime).
Pour le concert, la violoniste etait tres bonne et en plus tres sympathique, on a pu discuter apres.

Olivier said...

Aucun rapport avec ton post, mais revenant sur le post de la fete des meres, tu as vu la fete des peres c'est partout la meme date (enfin je crois)

EMNM said...

Very beautiful lamps and very interesting post.

Peter said...

To all of you:
Thanks for comments!

alice:
Oui, merci. Pas de chemise, ni de cravatte cette année, mais des livres (bien choisis)! ... et un dessin de Paloma!

olivier:
Il y une photo de l'Opéra, mais je n'avais pas des bonnes "en stock"!

Anonymous said...

très étonnante cette diversité de lampes et d'éclairages. jamais je n'y avais prêté attention quand j'habitais Paris ! c'est vrai que c'est beau....

Jenny said...

Hello, today is my first visit to your blog, but surely not the last - I love your photos and your commentary! I especially enjoy the collages of many things! I noticed you attended a concert and took photos - perhaps you'd enjoy a concert that some friends of mine will be in:
Samedi 23 juin 2007 - 22h30 - parc Montreau, Montreuil
9e Symphonie de Beethoven
Choeur d'Oratorio de Paris - Accès libre
If you go I hope you take picture so I can see my friends!

Peter said...

jenny:
I will do my best to be there, but I have friends visiting me this weekend, so I may not be able to make it. If and whenever you have a good tip for a concert, please tell me!